This website is maintained by Kai Degner, real estate agent with Kline May Realty. The site features information about buying and selling homes in the Shenandoah Valley and an ongoing series, 365 Things To Do in the Shenandoah Valley, featuring events, attractions, and art that make the Shenandoah Valley a wonderful place to live.
About Kai Degner
Kai is a double-graduate of James Madison University, receiving a bachelors degree in Integrated Science and Technology and a Masters in Business Administration. During his time at JMU, he got involved in a number of academic and civic projects that connected him to the Harrisonburg and Rockingham County community in a number of ways. Kai is now heavily involved in the central Shenandoah Valley community, currently serving as the mayor in Harrisonburg as one person on a five-member Harrisonburg City Council. Kai’s community roles give him unique insight into the Harrisonburg community and make him a terrific resource for any buyer or seller in the Shenandoah Valley!
- Mayor, Harrisonburg City Council
- City-County Liaison Committee
- City-JMU Liaison Committee
- Virginia Municipal League Policy Advisory Committee
- Harrisonburg/Rockingham Chamber of Commerce Board Member
- Harrisonburg Downtown Renaissance Board Member
- Massanutten Technical Center Board Member
- Boys and Girls Club Advisory Member
- Friendly City Food Coop Member
- Big Brothers Big Sisters Former Big Brother (former)
- Board of Zoning Appeals (former)
- Executive Director of the Arts Council of the Valley (former)
- The OrangeBand Initiative Founding Member
Kai has a part-time role as the Director of Business Services at the Fairfield Center, where he is a communications trainer and facilitator. He specializes in developing effective and efficient ways for businesses and leadership teams to develop action items to address their most pressing strategic concerns. In his role, he also coordinates the popular Harrisonburg Summits community dialogue series, which has fast become a premiere community networking program. Kai also created and leads Listening 101, a four-week online course focused on practicing listening.
Kai’s American mother, Gwyn, and German father, Thomas, live in Baltimore, MD, where they are educators; and his brother, Philip, lives in Mooresville, NC – the NASCAR capital of the world (he works for Penske). Kai was born in Wuerzburg, Germany, and is fluent in the language.